My PC card is not being detected.
What do I check first?
Most laptops will beep when a PC card is inserted. The sound is usually followed
by the Found New Hardware Wizard.
If the computer does not beep or display the Found New Hardware Wizard:
- Make sure the PC card is fully inserted into the PC slot.
- Make sure the laptop's PC slots are compatible. USRobotics PC cards
are Cardbus Type II.
- Make sure the computer has a Pentium processor that is 100MHz or faster.
- Make sure the laptop has at least 64MB RAM (or greater as recommended
by the operating system)
- Try unplugging all external devices. (Example: USB Mouse, Keyboard,
Printer, Hard Drive)
- Try another PC slot if available.
- Make sure the PC card supports Cardbus. (The PC slot may be in PCMCIA
- Check Windows Device Manager for Unknown or Other
- Update the laptop's BIOS. (BIOS updates can be found on computer manufacturer's
- Update the laptop's chipset software. (Chipset updates can be found on
computer manufacturer's website)
- Update your Windows version using http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com
- Try the PC card in another computer. It is possible that the laptop's
PC slots are damaged or disabled.